Monday, March 9, 2020

Strong Women and Pandemics

This is a month to observe the female of the species. Yesterday was Women's Day. I have been asked what that is and after some research, discovered that is is celebrated on March 8 every year. It is actually called International WOmen's day and is dedicated to honoring the achievements of women throughout history and all across the globe. It is typically a day for women form all different backgrounds and cultures to band together to fight for gender parity and women's rights. Frankly, in everyone's life there are very influential women, sometimes these women had a major impact that is not even realized.
In my case, I was taught by my mother and grandmother that everyone is equal and I should stand up for the rights of those being taken advantage of. Normally, this is not a major issue, but in my case, it cost me a career when the man doing the oppressing was a senior judge who wanted to take advantage of my clients. Most would not have wanted to square off with someone like this, and he did offer me what you  might term a payoff, but based on my upbringing and training, I had no choice but to take a stand that he was wrong. I paid for it with a career I had worked long and hard to obtain.
It is interesting to note that not only did all of the system im place to make sure that such things did not happen failed. It was so unusual a case that I even wrote a book about it, naming names and laying out the entire situation. 

No comments:

Post a Comment